What are Shared Lives services?
Shared Lives services are all about one household sharing their lives, families, home, interests, experience and skills with other people who need some help and support to live their lives to the full. It is a unique sort of social care. It is small scale and very personalised, and focuses on what the individual wants and needs to live their life and fulfil their ambitions. It happens in a normal family home in the local community, as a full and participating member of that family.
Shared Lives is delivered by skilled, trained and committed individuals who have chosen to share their homes and their lives with others. Shared Lives carers are supported by their Shared Lives scheme, which matches carers and service users, monitors the well being of the service user and supports the Shared Lives carer. Shared Lives combines the small scale setting of the family home with the expertise of a skilled and specialist organisation.
- Shared Lives works because it is delivered in the local community by the local community.
- Shared Lives works because it is delivered by highly motivated and experienced people who do it because they love to see the huge difference they can make to someone’s life.
- Shared Lives works because it means people can live independent lives without having to be alone.
- Shared Lives works because it is based on friendship, love and caring.
- Shared Lives works because it is a way of life not a job.